Auditor / Treasurer's Office
The Waseca County auditor-treasurer is an elected position with a four-year term.
As the election administrator, the auditor-treasurer is responsible for training election judges, preparing ballots and rosters, and providing election supplies to 22 precincts throughout the county.
The auditor-treasurer serves as clerk to the county Board of Commissioners, is a member of the Board of Equalization, County Canvassing Board, Redistricting Committee, and sits on other various committees as appointed.
- Acts as the bank and custodian of all county funds and cash assets
- Acts as the chief elections administrator, responsible for all election processes within the county
- Administers tax increment financing (TIF) districts as pertaining to tax calculation
- Calculates tax rates and taxes due based on levy requests by the county, cities, schools, and other taxing authorities.
- Collects taxes and disburses levied money to taxing authorities
- Invests idle cash and cash reserves
- Is custodian of official voter registration records
- Issues liquor, cigarette, precious metals, dance, dangerous dog, and firework permits as appropriate
- Issues tax certificates under the seal of the office
- Keeps a record of all county fixed assets and capital assets
- Maintains tax rolls through updates to ownership, splits, combinations, plats, and transfers
- Maintains county ditch records and maps for approximately 50 ditches
- Maintains records for all funds received and expended (two full sets of records are maintained, one as treasurer and one as auditor, to provide a system of checks and balances)
- Maintains status of delinquent tax records
- Prepares the annual financial statement
- Prepares the Truth-in-Taxation notices and Property Tax statements for every taxable real and personal property parcel in the county
- Serves as a member of the Board of Equalization, Canvassing Board, Secretary of Extension Committee, as well as other committees as assigned
- Serves as clerk to the County Board of Commissioners
- Performs various other tasks including:
- Collects deed tax and mortgage registration tax
- Reconciles county bank accounts
- Handling tax searches and information
- Administers the escrow of tax payments