Property & Election Services
The Waseca County auditor-treasurer is an elected position with a four-year term.
As the Election Administrator, the Auditor-Treasurer is responsible for all election functions within the County. Some of those responsibilities include preparation of ballots and rosters, training election judges, and providing election supplies and equipment to 22 precincts thought the county.
The Auditor-Treasurer serves as Clerk to the County Board of Commissioners and the Extension Committee. She is a member of the Board of Equalization, County Canvassing Board, Redistricting Committee, MnPrairie Finance Committee and sits on other various committees as appointed.
- Acts as the bank and custodian of all county funds and cash assets
- Acts as the chief elections administrator, responsible for all election processes within the county
- Administers tax increment financing (TIF) districts as pertaining to tax calculation
- Calculates tax rates and taxes due based on levy requests by the county, cities, schools, and other taxing authorities.
- Collects taxes and disburses levied money to taxing authorities
- Invests idle cash and cash reserves
- Is custodian of official voter registration records
- Issues liquor, cigarette, precious metals, dance, dangerous dog, and firework permits as appropriate
- Issues tax certificates under the seal of the office
- Keeps a record of all county fixed assets and capital assets
- Maintains tax rolls through updates to ownership, splits, combinations, plats, and transfers
- Maintains county ditch records and maps for approximately 50 ditches
- Maintains records for all funds received and expended (two full sets of records are maintained, one as treasurer and one as auditor, to provide a system of checks and balances)
- Maintains status of delinquent tax records
- Prepares the annual financial statement
- Prepares the Truth-in-Taxation notices and Property Tax statements for every taxable real and personal property parcel in the county
- Serves as a member of the Board of Equalization, Canvassing Board, Secretary of Extension Committee, as well as other committees as assigned
- Serves as clerk to the County Board of Commissioners
- Performs various other tasks including:
- Collects deed tax and mortgage registration tax
- Reconciles county bank accounts
- Handling tax searches and information
- Administers the escrow of tax payments