Motor Vehicle Registration / Transfer
Motor Vehicle-Registration from Out-of-State
- When someone moves to Minnesota they must submit foreign state title, or current registration if the title is unavailable.
- Applicants must provide: Current odometer reading, drivers license or state issued identification card and proof of insurance. If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan.
- Owner's signature is required on the Minnesota title application.
Transfer Vehicle Ownership
This is not all inclusive as to the purchase or transfer of vehicles.
- Title from state of last license is used to transfer (MN's title is 7"x11" green & white). If the title cannot be located, the seller must apply for a duplicate.
- The mileage as it appears on the odometer must be written on the title.
- Title will show current owner(s) name(s). All those whose name(s) appear(s) as owner(s) must sign as seller(s).
- If a lienholder is listed (bank, credit union or individual from whom money was borrowed), the lienholder must sign title or lien card releasing their interest in the vehicle. The lien card must be present at time of transfer.
- Transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer is not finished until the completed title is turned in and the excise tax and related fees are paid.
- For unique situations or questions on vehicle transfers please visit or contact us.
- Print full name(s), address, date(s) of birth, drivers license number(s) and sign in two places as buyer.
- If no lien, check "None." If money was borrowed to purchase, the complete name and address of the lienholder(s), and the date of the lien must be printed on the title.
- Vehicle transfers from dealership to private individual(s) are usually handled by the dealership. However, out of state purchases of new vehicles require the Manufactured Statement of Origin (MSO) signed by the dealer with the individual(s) name(s) listed as purchaser(s).
- All transfers and new vehicles must be transferred within 10 days of purchase.