July 2, 2020 Planning Commission documents
Conditional Use Application Packet
The Planning Commission is a seven-member group appointed by the County Board of Commissioners (one member is a County Commissioner) who act as an advisory commission to the County Board. They conduct public hearings on the first Thursday of each month. They make recommendations to the Commissioners, and are not a final decision-making body. Final decisions are then made by the Waseca County Board, and appeals from those decisions are heard by the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
Amendments or Rezones
An amendment may modify the text of the County’s Zoning Ordinance or any of the County’s other official land use controls such as the Land Use Plan, the Feedlot Ordinance, Floodplain Ordinance, Shoreland Ordinance, and Subdivision Ordinance, or it may modify a zoning district designated on the County’s official zoning map. An amendment to a zoning district is called a rezone.
Fee: A fee of $650 must be submitted with the application. This fee may be adjusted periodically by the County Board. If the Conditional Use Permit is approved, there is a $46 recording fee.
Conditional Use Permits
There are some land uses that are not permitted in certain districts which may be acceptable if specific conditions are attached to protect the adjacent property owners and the public interest. These uses require a review process. The review process is called a Conditional Use Permit and includes an application processed through the Planning & Zoning Office. The Planning Commission conducts the Public Hearing at their regular meetings. The findings of fact from the Planning Commission are forwarded to the County Board with a recommendation for approval or denial. The County Board may attach conditions to an approval to protect the adjacent property owners and the public interest.
Conditional Use Permits are subject to all applicable requirements of the Waseca County Zoning Ordinance and other pertinent County, State and Federal Regulations.
- Varies from 5-8 weeks. This depends on date of application submittal, Planning Commission deadlines, and scheduled County Board meetings.
- Requires Public Hearing in front of the Planning Commission.
Fee: A fee of $600 must be submitted with the application. This fee may be adjusted periodically by the County Board. If the Conditional Use Permit is approved, there is a $46 recording fee.
Required Submittal Information with Application Form:
Proof of ownership and/or owner authorization. Legal Description of the land being used. Survey drawn to scale showing:
- Existing structures, proposed additions, proposed structures, and property lines.
- Location of existing and/or proposed septic system(s), well(s), and plans for connection to proposed community or municipal water or sewer system.
- Distance between the proposed building or addition and centerline of roadway, ordinary high water mark of lake, river or stream, all property lines, and existing buildings.
- Septic system plans drafted by an MPCA Certified Designer when upgrades are required.
- Landscaping and/or drainage plans.
- Soil maps.
- Additional data as may be required by the Zoning Administrator to address the specific type of conditional use requested.
Review and Approval Procedures:
- Applicant must submit completed application with all supporting documentation and fees to the Zoning Administrator.
- The Zoning Administrator will review the documents and will work with the applicant to ensure that all necessary information has been submitted. Staff will draft a report and recommendation and forward it to the Planning Commission to be heard at the next meeting.
- Notice of the Public Hearing will be sent to all affected property owners within one-quarter mile, the affected township, and all municipalities within two miles.
- Notice of the Public Hearing will also be published in the official County newspaper 10 days before the date of the hearing.
- The Public Hearing will be held by the Planning Commission at its next regularly scheduled meeting. The applicant, and any other interested party, will be given an opportunity to speak for or against the proposal.
- The Planning Commission may:
- Recommend approval of the request with such attached conditions as are necessary to ensure proper development of the property and to protect surrounding areas.
- Recommend denial of the request.
- Forward the request without recommendation.
- Table the request pending revision or submittal of additional information.
- The County Board will consider the recommendation of the Planning Commission.
- The County Board may:
- Conditionally approve the request subject to terms and conditions specified and made conditions of the approval.
- Deny the request.
- Refer the request back to the Planning Commission for further review.
- A certified copy of the Conditional Use Permit shall be filed with the County Recorder.